Learn How to do Cylinder Servicing- Step by Step Guide
Lesson 3 in the Locksmith Training Program covers cylinder servicing as well as disc and pin types. With this chapter you will learn how to key the pin tumbler cylinder and learn an important step in understanding cylinder servicing.
In this lesson, you’ll learn about the part of the lock that keys operate: the cylinder. Cylinders come in many shapes and sizes. But they all serve the same purpose. A cylinder lets only certain keys operate the lock. So it also keeps other keys from operating the lock.
When you have completed this lesson, you should be able to:
- Recognize the definitions of various lock cylinder terms.
- Identify the parts of a disc tumbler cylinder.
- Describe the functions of disc tumbler cylinder parts.
- List three common causes of disc tumbler cylinder malfunction and describe the symptoms and remedies for each.
- Identify the parts of a pin tumbler cylinder.
- Describe the functions of pin tumbler cylinder parts.
- List five common causes of pin tumbler cylinder malfunction and describe the symptoms and remedies for each.
- Identify the three types of wafers used in Schlage Wafer locks. This segment is for enrichment only. Do not focus too much on it. These locksets should be retired.